Few travel destinations are likely to underestimate their own worth or variety of attractions of course, but the truth is, you deserve to be properly informed. Yes, with so much marketing, social media influence and travel blogs telling you where to go, what to do and so on, you deserve some serious answers.
And here’s the truth when it comes to Perth in Western Australia; this vibrant city has such a rich history, thriving economy and interesting things to do, that not visiting is a mistake. With that said, let us fill you in on all the best spots in Perth, and a little bit about what makes it one of the most inriguing destinations in the land down under:
Unassuming origins in Western Australia
Perth is one of the largest cities in all of Australia, but it wasn’t always that way. Once upon a time – 38,000 years ago, to be exact – there existed a tribe known as the Nyoongar people. Through scientific carbon dating, these claims have been confirmed although flash forward to 1829—Captain James Stirling founded Perth officially. It was deemed a section of the Swan River Colony, which started attracting visitors and eventually permanent residents to the first free colony in Australia.
Spectacular beaches and unique activities
It’s no secret that some of the most beautiful beaches in the world are in Australia. Perth is the pinnacle; the western coast offers exceptional beaches in large numbers, so you will have ample opportunity to enjoy the white sands, breathtaking horizon, and exotic sea life.
Furthermore, you can also expect to paddle amidst the dolphins at Monkey Min Beach, or walk along Lucky Bay to get a chance at spotting some kangaroos. Depending on your destination along the coast, you are pretty much guaranteed either rugged, stunning scenery or an immaculate stretch of sand – it’s just one of the things that make Perth one of the most beautiful destinations in the world.
Perth: Home of the charming village experience
Just outside of the city center, there are many unique and inviting villages to encounter such as Leederville; where you can take advantage of the boutique shops and charming cafés. In fact, until you make an effort, you are missing out on the authentic Perth experience.
These villages are usually the homes of the small business owners and driving force of the city, which bring culture and one-of-a-kind products and services to the greater Perth area. It’s no surprise either that when you leave this part of Perth behind, you will find yourself back home, dreaming of these charming villages and small town experiences.
Where to stay in Perth
You’re going on vacation—you want to stay somewhere you’ll remember, somewhere that avoids feeling too conventional and is not another cog in a hotel chain. Take a walk on the wild side and select one of the following hotels which have everything you should need on your trip to Perth:
- Fraser Suites: An absolute favorite among the many wonderful and independently-operated hotels in Perth. Guests come back to Fraser Suites again and again for exceptional service, immaculate rooms and a guest service experience like no other.
- Sullivans Hotel: Priding itself on fine customer service and cleanliness, Sullivans Hotel is another home to recurring guests, staying at multiple times throughout spanning years. Their rooms won’t break your bank, and you’ll get to enjoy all the beauty of Perth, with exceptional quality. How can you beat that?
- Pepper Kings Square Hotel: Take advantage of the Executive Room whether you’re traveling for business or leisure. You get a phenomenal view of the southern side of Perth guaranteed to take your breath away.
Local café’s and restaurants
Part of any destination experience is enjoying restaurants that you don’t normally have access to back home, particularly those who offer local cuisine and cultural favorites. Check out these hot spots to have your taste buds blown out of the water.
- The Courtside Restaurant: Roll out of that hotel bed and head straight to breakfast. The Courtside Restaurant is an exceptional eatery, serving up truly Australian dishes. You won’t find anything else like this back home, that’s a fact.
- The Queens Tavern: Whether it’s a bit of local comfort food or a stiff drink, The Queens Tavern is a top bar and restaurant, serving up excellent and cost-effective meals every single day.
- The Balmoral: You can get a mix of the lot here—breakfast, brunch, burgers; you name it. The service and quality of each dish is sublime and sure to visit you in your dreams as one of the best places you went in Perth.
Places You Won’t Want To Miss
However, Perth is more than just fine beaches and unique cuisine. From the peaceful banks of Swan River to King’s Park Memorial, there are many attractions to keep you entertained. Whether it’s boating, fishing or just recreational swimming, the Swan River is just another pristine section of Perth which allows you to escape the city and enjoy the crystal-clear waters while the latter, King’s Park War Memorial is a heartwarming remnant of more troubled times in the city. Located on Mount Eliza, the Cenotaph is in honor of all Australian soldiers whose remains never made it home. Bring back some history with you. And then there is St. Mary’s Cathedral which, Religious affiliation aside, the architecture never fails to leave visitors speechless. Merely standing in its shadow and gazing upon the intricacy will place you into euphoric amazement – a remarkable sight to see.
Uncovering beauty and history in Western Australia
Given the remote location, Perth is understandably a travel destination to which the traveler must commit and one that requires more than just a day to explore. Home to endless beaches and stunning scenery, the surrounding areas make it perfect for day tours while the city itself can feel like both an old and equally contemporary experience.
You may have heard a similar tale about another city somewhere else in the world, but there is genuinely something for everyone to experience in Perth. From historical landmarks and fine cuisine to unforgettable beaches and charming villages, as far as travel destinations go, this city has everything you could possible need. Whether it’s for work or leisure, you should feel at home in the present, while the ancient history of Perth also leaves another fascinating, albeit an ancient story to be uncovered.